Paddleboarding is a relatively new sport. Its popularity went up in the early 2000s, and now water sports fanatics all over enjoy this mixture of kayaking and surfing.
Simple to learn for children and adults at all fitness levels, it has many pleasant uses and benefits:
- Exercising: Stand up paddleboarding is a great way to get a powerful core workout. Trying to find an exercise routine that’s both enjoyable and effective? Well, give a SUP a try. Some people even have different spin as they are practicing pilates or yoga on a SUP.
- Catching the waves: While classic surfing is notably hard to learn, stand up paddleboarding is relatively easy to start and learn. And instead of wiping out on a surfboard, go out with a paddleboard.
- Wildlife viewing opportunities: You can easily reach tranquil waterways that are a refuge for animals with a paddleboard. Paddling is much quieter than a jet ski, so you can get close with exotic birds, tropical fish, and turtles. Manatees and dolphins come up to people on paddleboards and swim alongside them.
Benefits of stand up paddleboarding
Paddleboarding has its distinct benefits. It’s a great full-body exercise, camaraderie among friends, exploring great waterways and appeal to all ages and abilities, to name a few.
Paddling is an extraordinary carrier to bring people together. An excuse, if you will, to get people away from their plugged-in lives, and outdoors on the water together, enjoying each other’s company in the serenity of nature.
No matter your age, you can paddle on your own, or take part in a guided tour. SUP is the fastest growing water sports as it is so easy to learn. You can find rentals and tours on many locations, included Charleston.
Benefits in short:
- Lose weight
- Works the whole body
- Low impact cardio workout
- Helps to build up your stamina
- Less fatigue
- Gives a better sense of balance
- Sun and fresh air
- You can go anywhere
- Relaxing and stress relieving hobby
Unique way to exercise
Paddleboarding is a unique new way to exercise, and it gives you a remarkably fun workout. Build muscle and burn fat while you paddle and have fun.
Stand up paddleboarding is undoubtedly a great outdoor workout. It’s great for fat burning and body sculpting.
Depending on the type of exercise you’re looking for, you can manage your time on the board to concentrate on:
- core workout, or
It’s as simple as changing your route into the wind or downwind, or changing your paddling tempo, technique, or intensity.
One form of SUP exercise is SUP yoga. It has exploded onto the scene in the last few years. Supboardguide.com gives some tips on health benefits of SUP yoga.
Simple DIY SUP Exercises
Below are two exercises you can also do on the board.
Paddle Squat: This exercise affects your whole body. It will help with joint mobility and is also great for your core and butt, as you’re dealing with the instability of the board on the water.
- Stand in the middle of the board. Keep your feet as far apart as the board will allow.
- Keep the paddle in both hands. Arms fully extended above your head with a wide grip.
- Hinge at the hips and bend the knees. Keep your butt back when lowering to a squat position, while keeping heals down. Meanwhile, hold the paddle above you in line with your shoulders while your arms are still fully extended.
- Return to a standing position and repeat.
Balance training: This exercise will help you in moving your feet around the board while challenging your legs and core.
- Stand in the middle of the board. Put one foot ahead of another, so there is about 5 inches between the feet.
- Bend your knees slightly and keep them bent.
- Paddle forward.
- Switch your footing after every 4 paddles.
SUP develops your core strength and balance, meaning that the more you do it, the better you get.